California DUI Penalties
DUI Attorneys Serving Throughout Kern County
DUI penalties in California are set up to deter anyone from considering driving under the influence and are extremely harsh. They vary, depending on the type of DUI offense you are charged with, and your penalty is also often dependent upon who you choose as your attorney.
Is DUI a Misdemeanor in California?
If convicted, the first DUI offense is a misdemeanor offense in California. Even a conviction on a first offense has harsh penalties, including jail time and expensive fines. We will aggressively seek out defense strategies and will relentlessly fight for your defense.
What are the Penalties for DUI in Bakersfield, CA?
First Offense DUI penalties in California include the following:
- Need to attend a substance abuse program
- Up to six months in jail
- License suspension for up to 4 months
- Will have your vehicle impounded for up to half a year
- Have an ignition interlock device installed
2nd Offense DUI penalties in California include the following:
- A mandatory alcohol or drug program
- Up to $1,000 in fines
- A year in jail
- An ignition interlock device for up to three years
- Possible license restrictions
A 3rd DUI offense in California within 10 years will result in:
- Up to one year in jail
- A three-year license revocation
- An 18-month drug or alcohol program
- Other potential penalties and fines
4th or Subsequent DUI Offenses can result in:
- Up to three years in jail
- Felony charges
- Thousands of dollars in fines
- A four-year license revocation
- Rehabilitation program
There are further "enhanced" penalties for:
- Extremely high blood alcohol concentration levels of .15% or above
- DUI that resulted in injury
- Vehicular manslaughter
- Having a child under 14 years of age in the car
- Refusing the breathalyzer test
- If you are on probation for an earlier DUI conviction.
DUI Defense Lawyer Serving Bakersfield & Kern County, California
Over the years, our Bakersfield DUI Lawyers have developed powerful resources for DUI defense and approaches each case with the determination to fight for the client aggressively and thoroughly. This means that each case is reviewed and analyzed to the smallest detail. All aspects of the case are completely reviewed, and if further investigation is necessary, an independent toxicologist or another investigator may be consulted and used in the defense. Contact our Kern County DUI lawyer today!