DUI Penalties in Bakersfield, CA
Skilled DUI Attorneys Serving Throughout Kern County
DUI penalties in California are set up to deter anyone from considering driving under the influence and are extremely harsh. They vary, depending on the type of DUI offense you are charged with, and your penalty is also often dependent upon who you choose as your Bakersfield DUI defense attorney.
Is DUI a Misdemeanor in California?
If convicted, the first DUI offense is a misdemeanor offense in California. Even a conviction on a first offense has harsh penalties, including jail time and expensive fines. We will aggressively seek out defense strategies and will relentlessly fight for your defense.
If you have been charged with driving under the influence in Bakersfield, schedule a consultation with our defense lawyers to start building your defense today!
What are the Penalties for DUI in Bakersfield, CA?
First Offense DUI penalties include the following, even if probation is granted:
- Need to attend a substance abuse program
- May spend up to six months in jail
- May have your license suspended or restricted and may be forced to pay certain penalties
- Will have your vehicle impounded for up to half a year
- Have an ignition interlock device installed
- Second Offense DUI penalties include the following, even if probation is granted:
- A mandatory alcohol or drug program
- Up to $1,000 in fines
- A year in jail
- An ignition interlock device for up to three years
- Possible license restrictions
A third DUI offense withinten years will result in:
- Up to one year in jail
- A three-year license revocation
- An 18-month drug or alcohol program
- Other potential penalties and fines
Fourth or Subsequent DUI Offenses can result in:
- Up to three years in jail
- Felony charges
- Thousands of dollars in fines
- A four-year license revocation
- Rehabilitation program
There are further "enhanced" penalties for extremely high blood alcohol concentration levels of .15% or above, DUI that resulted in injury, vehicular manslaughter,for having a child under 14 years of age in the car, for refusing the breathalyzer test, or if you are on probation for an earlier DUI conviction.
Effective DUI Defense in Kern County
At Middlebrook & Associates, Attorney Richard Middlebrook has trained extensively in DUI defense. Mr. Middlebrook has tried over 150 DUI trials and is a member of the National College of DUI Defense and the California DUI Lawyers Association. He attends virtually every educational opportunity in California and around the country on DUI Defense.
Over the years, our firm has developed powerful resources for DUI defense and approaches each case with the determination to fight for the client aggressively and thoroughly. This means that each case is reviewed and analyzed to the smallest detail. All aspects of the case are completely reviewed, and if further investigation is necessary, an independent toxicologist or another investigator may be consulted and used in the defense.
Contact a Bakersfield DUI Defense Attorney from Middlebrook & Associates when seeking exceptional legal counsel to defend you on any DUI charge.