DUI Penalties in Bakersfield, CA
Bakersfield DUI Defense Attorney
DUI penalties in California are set up to deter anyone from considering driving under the influence and are extremely harsh. They vary, depending on the type of DUI offense you are charged with, and your penalty is also often dependent upon who you choose as your Bakersfield DUI defense attorney.
If convicted, the first DUI offense is a misdemeanor offense. Even a conviction on a first offense has harsh penalties, including jail time and expensive fines. We will aggressively seek out defense strategies and will relentlessly fight for your defense.
When fighting to protect yourself from DUI charges in Bakersfield, contact our DUI defense team.
What are the penalties for DUI?
If convicted, you face the following penalties:
Even if probation is granted, you will:
- Need to attend a substance abuse program
- May spend up to six months in jail
- May have your license suspended or restricted and may be forced to pay certain penalties
- Will have your vehicle impounded for up to half a year
- Have an ignition interlock device installed
If you are convicted of a second DUI within ten years, you may be facing:
- A mandatory alcohol or drug program
- Up to $1,000 in fines
- A year in jail
- An ignition interlock device for up to three years
- Possible license restrictions
A third offense within ten years will result in:
- Up to one year in jail
- A three year license revocation
- An 18 month drug or alcohol program
- Other potential penalties and fines
Fourth or Subsequent Offense:
For a fourth offense, you could be facing:
- Up to three years in jail
- Felony charges
- Thousands of dollars in fines
- A four year license revocation
- Rehabilitation program
If you are convicted of a DUI that resulted in injury you could face:
- 3 years in a state prison
- An additional 1 year in prison for each additional person injured
- 3 additional years if anyone is severely injured
If you are convicted of vehicular manslaughter you could face:
- 4 years in a state prison
- If a multiple DUI offender, up to 10 years in a state prison
There are further "enhanced" penalties for extremely high blood alcohol concentration levels of .15% or above, for having a child under 14 years of age in the car, for refusing the breathalyzer test, or if you are on probation for an earlier DUI conviction.
Effective DUI Defense in Kern County
Many attorneys will say that they can defend you in a DUI charge. The question that you must ask yourself is what are the qualifications and experience that the attorney is providing to me? At Middlebrook & Associates, Attorney Richard Middlebrook has trained extensively in DUI defense. Mr. Middlebrook has tried over 150 DUI trials and is a member of the National College of DUI Defense and the California DUI Lawyers Association. He attends virtually every educational opportunity in California and around the country on DUI Defense.
Over the years, our firm has developed powerful resources for DUI defense, and approaches each case with the determination to fight for the client aggressively and thoroughly. This means that each case is reviewed and analyzed to the smallest detail. All aspects of the case are completely reviewed, and if further investigation is necessary, an independent toxicologist or other investigator may be consulted and used in the defense.
Contact a Bakersfield DUI Defense Attorney from Middlebrook & Associates when seeking exceptional legal counsel to defend you on any DUI charge.